“Boone Hall Plantation spans 738 acres that includes seasonal crop fields, naturally preserved wetlands, creeks, and ponds. The most notable natural feature of the grounds is the grand "Avenue of Oaks" that was first planted in 1743 and completed by the Horlbeck brothers in 1843. The pathway consists of 88 live oak trees and one magnolia, that are evenly spaced, and run 3/4 of a mile from the entrance of the plantation to a pair of brick gateposts that open up to the courtyard in front of the historic plantation home. The gateposts are topped with ball finals, hung with formal wrought iron gates and along with a brick serpentine wall enclose the forecourt of the house. Open lawns at each side of the entry drive are flanked by formal gardens with two pergolas on the wide forecourt directly in front of the house, brick-paved paths that are laid among large live oaks and planted with camellias, azaleas and Noisette roses.”
-Boone Hall Plantation
“Middleton Place gardens, which Henry Middleton envisioned and began to create in 1741, reflect the grand classic style that remained in vogue in Europe and England into the early part of the 18th century. Henry Middleton's original gardens contained walkways or allées, which were planted with trees and shrubs, trimmed to appear as green walls that partitioned off small galleries, green arbors and bowling greens. Sculpture was placed at the end of long vistas and ornamental canals designed with mathematical precision. Changes in elevation and new surprises were created at every turn. Arthur Middleton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, befriended French botanist, André Michaux, who is thought to have brought the first camellias in America to Middleton Place. Governor Henry Middleton, Arthur’s son, planted many more camellias and introduced additional plant material, including tea olives and crepe myrtles. Williams Middleton expanded the Gardens, incorporating romantic garden influences, and brought azaleas to the plantation – now over 100,000 in number. In the early 20th century, Heningham Lyons Ellett Smith, wife of Middleton descendant J.J. Pringle Smith, restored the landscape that had been largely neglected for nearly six decades following the Civil War. The Gardens evolved as each of these subsequent generations made contributions over time to the gardens we love today!”
“Charleston Waterfront Park is one of the peninsula's most visited parks, centrally located near The Market. Finished in 1990, Waterfront Park is a favorite of visitors and locals alike, offering fantastic views of the Charleston harbor. Old-fashioned park benches dot the park, and family-sized swings offer a fun way to spend a relaxing afternoon together. A large rectangular lawn provides a great spot for picnics and sunning. Walkways are ideal for strolling, and two large fountains make for fantastic places for children to play, splash and cool off. The fountains light at night, offering a truly spectacular scene along the harbor's waterfront.
The park was designed by Stuart O. Dawson of Sasaki Associates with assistance from Edward Pinckney Associates and has received many design awards. The park is composed of distinct sections. At the northern entrance to the park at the foot of Vendue Range, a large fountain was built which anchors the end of the park. From the fountain, Vendue Wharf is a wide, wooden pier which extends into the Cooper River and offers sheltered swings. A floating dock is attached at the far end and provides unobstructed views of the Ravenel Bridge, Charleston Harbor, Castle Pinckney, the U.S.S. Yorktown at Patriot's Point, and Fort Sumter. The pier extends into the river approximately the same length as the Tidewater Terminals, Inc. facility had, and its charred pilings from the 1955 fire are still visible.
The largest portion of the park, between Vendue Range to the north and Exchange St. to the south, is itself made of two distinct sections. Running along Concord St. and Prioleau St. for approximately one-quarter mile is a dense canopy of oak trees and many benches. Parallel the shady urban park and immediately adjacent to the riverfront is an open lawn landscaped with palmetto trees. The 1,200 foot palmetto lined esplanade follows the natural water line ensuring public access to the water’s edge. In the middle of the grassy lawn is the Pineapple Fountain, a large fountain shaped like a pineapple located immediately in front of the City Gallery.
At the southern end of the park, the formal esplanade follows the curve of the shore and turns back toward Concord Street. At Exchange Street, the park merges into restored salt marshes, creating valuable maritime habitat. Pedestrians can walk to the edge of the river at this point from Exchange Street to North Adger's Wharf. At the riverfront end of North Adger's Wharf, the 17th century pier was rebuilt in the original footprint with the original granite which was fished out of the river and reused. This pier that marks the southern edge of the park was reconstructed using log cribbing construction of native palmetto trees to last for many generations.”
-Charleston Waterfront Park
Hope you've enjoyed the photos and our list of favorites for what our wonderful city of Charleston has to offer for bridal portrait locations. We just adore our Brides and their springtime bridal portraits. :-) We'd love for you to be one of our bride's too so reach out to us to schedule your session today!